What is P-EBT?
P-EBT provides nutrition benefits to families who lost access to free or reduced-price school meals due to reduced school days or closures during the COVID-19 pandemic.
2020-2021 School Year
Children who missed out on free or reduced-price school meals during the 2020-2021 school year due to hybrid or virtual learning models will begin receiving another round Pandemic EBT (P-EBT) in May, 2021. Montana’s P-EBT plan was approved by USDA at the beginning of April and the Montana Department of Public Human and Health Services issued a press release with details of their plan, including:
- Who is eligible?
- Children who would be eligible for free or reduced-price meals; determined by direct certification, through an application for the Free and Reduced-Price School Meals program or enrollment in a Community Eligibility Provision school. AND
- Missed meals at school due to hybrid or virtual learning models.
- How much P-EBT benefits will families receive?
- Children who attended school virtually for the entire school year will receive the full benefit amount, estimated to be $115.94 per month per eligible child.
- Children who attended a school using a hybrid model will receive a prorated amount, $68.20, for each month (based on the average number of remote days from Montana’s 15 largest school districts).
- How will benefits be distributed?
- Households will receive an EBT card in the mail with the first round of benefits.
- Benefits will be issued retroactively. (The first benefit amount will likely be for the months of October, November and December of 2020, and January and February of 2021.)
- When will benefits be distributed?
- Households will begin receiving benefits at the end of May, 2021.
- If you believe you have eligible children in your household and have not received benefits by June 11, email or call the Montana Department of Health and Human Services:
- [email protected]
- Where can P-EBT Benefits be spent?
- Anywhere SNAP benefits can be spent, including grocery stores and many farmers markets. P-EBT Benefits even qualify for match funds through Double SNAP Dollars!
We will continue to update this page as Montana DPHHS implements their plan.
2019-2020 School Year
P-EBT benefits for the 2019-2020 school year were distributed during July and August of 2020.