Current areas of focus
Federal Level –
We are gravely concerned over potential cuts to SNAP in the 2018 Farm Bill or other mechanism. SNAP is a vital resource for the thousands of children, seniors, veterans, workers, individuals with disabilities, and others in our state who rely on SNAP to keep food on the table and make ends meet. SNAP is also a key economic stimulus, bringing nearly $170 million into our state, supporting retailers, growers, and local communities. Cuts or structural changes to SNAP would be devastating for Montana, significantly worsening hunger in our state. Find additional information below to see how SNAP is working in Montana.
Help us our Congressional leaders to protect and strengthen SNAP in upcoming Farm Bill negotiations.
- Senator Daines: (202) 224-2651 or email
- Senator Tester: (202) 224-2644 or email
- Representative Gianforte: (202) 225-3211 or email
State Level –
Montana’s 2017 State Session wrapped up at the end of April. Here is a quick overview of the issues that we worked on –
The good news:
- Bill to restrict SNAP eligibility was defeated in committee.
- Bill to restrict SNAP food choice was defeated in committee.
- Bill to create a state level Earned Income Tax Credit was signed into law.
- Bill to remove the sunset date on Hunters Against Hunger was signed into law.
Keep working on:
- Bill to create a paid family and medical leave program was defeated in committee but we will continue the effort for next session.